[rdo-dev] RDO packaging for CentOS-Stream

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 23:23:52 UTC 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 1:31 PM Alan Pevec <apevec at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> > How is building on CentOS Stream better than building on Fedora?
>
> centos8 stream is preview of the next minor RHEL8 release
> and c9 stream will be next RHEL major preview
>
> We had RDO Trunk on Fedora in the past and it was not sustainable to
> maintain, it's basic principle to keep platform stable while
> developing.

This is the wrong way to look at it. You folks really suffered for not
having a working Fedora build when it came time to actually shift to
Python 3 for RHEL/CentOS 8. Because of this failure in your
development process, you wound up having to take a whole year to fix
everything, rather than having that work already done incrementally as
things changed in Fedora.

The truth of the matter is, since you folks didn't actively work in
Fedora back when you *were* doing OpenStack on Fedora, you were always
caught off-guard and unable to benefit from the effects of having the
Fedora community involved in supporting many of the components that
OpenStack relies on.

And if someone brings up the release cycle, I'd just point out that
they've been mostly aligned for a few years now, usually just slightly
out of sync for Fedora GA releases by a couple of weeks for one of the
releases each year. If you folks actually *wanted* to bring that into
alignment with Fedora, I'm sure you could figure out a way to make
that happen. And shipping RCs in Fedora GA and pushing final as
post-GA update isn't all that bad either...